Find out if you are a Talent Manager, a Talent Muncher, or something in between with this nearly scientific quiz. Write down your answers and compare to the key below!
- You have an open door policy for your team…
- Sometimes, but I give them criteria for when they can interrupt
- In hell.
- Your staff share personal problems with you…
- They hold nothing back, it’s play-by-play
- Only surgeries, pet deaths, things that will keep them from work
- Upon pain of death.
- You encourage your staff to take on new responsibilities such as
- Tackling every opportunity that comes up
- Learning new skills that will help them in their next role
- Doing the tasks you hate.
- Your main focus in performance reviews is
- How you could serve them better
- What they need to succeed in the future
- A list of pet peeves you’ve been saving up all year.
- You keep up with their work by
- Getting itemized to-do lists from them every week
- Setting goals for activity and results and removing roadblocks
- Checking what time they arrive and leave work and what’s on their computer screens.
- Your idea of an appropriate holiday or birthday gift is
- A basket of your home-made baking
- A handwritten card and some time off
- A framed picture of you for their desk.
How did you do?
- If you had 4 or more “A’s” then you may be more of a best buddy than an effective boss. Get your business etiquette on and set some boundaries.
- If you had 4 or more “C’s” then you are likely the boss from hell. Do you even have a team anymore? Get some coaching Talent Muncher!
- If you had 4 or more “B’s” then you are a good Talent Manager. Go forward and coach your fellow bosses!